It’s hard to believe it’s almost the end of another year! The holidays are coming up fast, and it’s time to get ready. It’s time to start shopping for gifts, picking out recipes for holiday feasts, and preparing the house to handle guests.
Homeowners should make sure that everything they need is ready to go, including the garbage disposal. A breakdown is the last thing anyone wants to deal with in the middle of a party.
What Exactly Does a Garbage Disposal Do?
Garbage disposal is a major appliance in a kitchen. This device is placed underneath the sink drain and collects any solid food waste that comes down the drain. It stores this waste in a chamber that can be ground up, making it easier for the waste to move through the pipes. This helps to prevent clogs in the pipes and keeps water from backing up into the sink.
If a garbage disposal malfunctions in the middle of a holiday feast, the food waste can’t get broken up into smaller pieces. In other words, homeowners could end up with a big clog on their hands and have to call in an emergency plumbing service to clear out the clog before the sink starts backing up.
Signs the Garbage Disposal Needs Replacement
Fortunately, several signs can tell homeowners something is wrong with the garbage disposal. It’s the homeowner’s responsibility to recognize these signs and take action before an emergency occurs.
The signs include:
- Awful smells: If the garbage disposal starts developing a bad smell that won’t go away, there are likely food particles trapped in its crevices. Homeowners should disassemble and clean the device to solve this problem before any guests arrive at the home.
- Screeching noises: If it starts to make loud or screeching noises, it could be that something got stuck in the device that accidentally fell in. But if this is not the case, it’s likely the motor wearing out, and the device will need to be replaced.
- Frequently using the reset button: This button should be seldom used, so if homeowners find themselves pressing reset frequently, it’s a sign that something is wrong. There may be insufficient wiring or normal wear and tear that is causing the problem. Either way, homeowners should contact a professional to fix the issue or replace the device.
Prevent Garbage Disposal Problems
Garbage disposals are pretty powerful, but they can’t withstand everything. Homeowners still need to be careful about what they put down the drain to avoid garbage disposal problems.
- Never pour grease down the drain. Even with the garbage disposal, it will still cause a clog.
- Don’t use drain cleaners on the garbage disposal. The chemicals in these products are harsh and can damage the device.
- Don’t use hot water when the garbage disposal is on. Running cold water is the best way to prevent any grease or oils in the drain from solidifying.
- Use citrusy foods to prevent bad smells. Grinding up an orange peel or lemon peel can naturally help to freshen up the smell.
Garbage disposals can be a lifesaver for holiday meals, but they always need to be properly cared for.
About Affordable Plumbing, Rooter and Water Heaters
Affordable Plumbing, Rooter and Water Heaters has quickly developed into one of the most trusted plumbing companies in the Greater Phoenix area through their commitment to quality customer service. Their plumbing technicians each have 15+ years of industry experience and can offer expert drain cleaning services.